While preparing documents for upload, here are some guidelines to ensure your file is correctly formatted for upload.
Basic Document Requirements
All paid plans come with unlimited public uploads (Basic plan is limited to 5). If you want to set your content as Unlisted, Issuu plans come with a limited number of free Unlisted. The Optimum plan offers unlimited unlisted uploads.
Please see the article for more information: Unlisted Content.
The limitations on the size of the document per upload for both Public and Unlisted content and the document size depend on the plan you choose.
- Basic Plan: 50 pages per document up to 50MB in size, 5 publications
- Starter, and legacy Pro Plans: 500 pages per document up to 100MB in size, unlimited upload
- Premium Plan:5000 pages per document, up to 500MB in size, unlimited upload
- Optimum Plan: 5000 pages per document, up to 2GB in size, unlimited upload
The Issuu reading experience is responsive and will adapt to various screen sizes from desktops to mobile devices. This means that you can upload a document with any page dimensions. You can always upload your document as a draft which gives you the opportunity to check how your publication will appear before you publish it on Issuu.
If you upload your document with single-page spreads, our system will automatically convert it to 2-page spreads. If you upload your content with 2-page spreads, it will show up on Issuu as 4 pages.
Our most highly recommended file format is PDF, but we understand the need for others. Issuu supported file format include:
- Word .doc, .docx
- PowerPoint .ppt, .pptx
- OpenOffice .ods, .odp, .odt
- WordPerfect .wpd
- Rich Text Format .rtf
- StarOffice .sxi
- Google Docs
- Google Slides
It is also important to take the following points into consideration while preparing documents for upload:
- Make sure your document will open without problems in a desktop reader (e.g. Acrobat Reader or Preview)
- Remember that the Issuu conversion system takes only the 1st 50 characters of a filename to construct the publication's URL.
- Make sure your file is not password protected
- Make sure user access is not restricted
- It should allow printing and copying.
- If you have added links, then export the document as Interactive PDF
If you are using InDesign to create your content, you can download this Issuu Export Preset and add it to your presets to ensure that during the export process, your PDF is Issuu-ready. If you encounter upload problems, refer to this guide.