Issuu Collaborate is a process tool that helps manage the workflow of editorial, design and production teams.
The editor can create a new Title that can contain several Publications (corresponding to editions, or issues) and invite team members to collaborate on producing content, creating layouts and reviewing final versions.
The final publications can then be uploaded to Issuu for digital distribution or downloaded for print.
Take a look at the introduction video for a high-level overview of what Collaborate can do for you:
Collaborate will help you to get structured from start to finish in five basic steps:
- Plan your title
This involves setting up a flatplan with pages and placeholders for articles and ads, while assigning the task of providing the content to team members.
- Gather the content
In this step, team members can contribute copy as well as upload files and images in pages where articles and ads are to be placed. A simple content-upload link can be shared with external contributors. The Editor can then approve or reject the content.
- Download content for layout
Art Directors can review the flatplans and download all assets for creating the layout in their tool of choice. For aficionados of Adobe InDesign, we offer an InDesign Extension that shows the flatplan and status of content, allowing for downloading straight into the corresponding page of the InDesign project.
- Review the layout
Art Directors can upload the finished pages for review. Again, this can be easily done with the available InDesign Extension. Team members can then comment and the Editor can approve or reject pages.
Once all pages are approved (which is reflected on the overview in the "review" tab), the Editor can upload directly to Issuu to leverage our platform’s digital-distribution features or download the PDF for print.
Putting together your team
Each Title has a team. You can invite as many team members as you want, for free. New team members can be invited under the Team tab on the top menu or while creating new articles and ads. While inviting a team member you will provide them with a role for that specific Title.
When you invite a new team member to your Collaborate account, they will be sent an email with the invitation and sign-up link. This link allows the recipient to either sign in with an existing Issuu account or create a free Issuu account. (They will need an Issuu account to join the workflow in Collaborate.)
A team member can be invited to multiple Titles, Publications and Articles and also by multiple editors.
You can edit existing team members by finding them in your list of members and clicking "EDIT". In the edit section you can change the roles and also remove them as a collaborator.
A team member invited to a publication will be assigned a role. Depending on the role, the team member will have different permissions in the publication. The different roles are as follows:
- Editor: The Editor has the top-level administrator role and can do everything in Collaborate — create new titles, publications and flatplans; manage content such as articles and ads; invite team members; publish and so on.
- Art Director: The Art Director can view the flatplan and download the content that has been placed on pages as well as upload pages for review. Art Directors can also move, delete or add pages to the flatplan.
- Salesperson: A Salesperson can be assigned ads to sell but also has the ability to create new ads and update assigned ads.
- Contributor: Contributors can be assigned to articles and can only view the articles that they have been assigned to or that anyone can work on.