This article covers solutions to common problems with links, fonts, text and layout when uploading your content to the Issuu platform.
NOTE: You may also like to learn more about Preparing Documents for Upload
Problems with Conversion
If conversion fails, one or more of your pages might be too complex (in other words, they contain too many vector objects). To troubleshoot, follow these steps:
- Identify these complex pages by seeing which ones load slowly in a PDF reader
- Remove these pages and upload a test to see if conversion succeeds
- Simplify the design of the complex pages or flatten them to bitmap graphics
Note: It’s hard to see on the page if there are too detailed vector graphics. It's normally something the design program does when you add too many things to the page. You can try to generate your PDF as 'optimized for web' or 'linear PDF.' This can be achieved via the print dialog.
Note: If you're using InDesign to create your content, download this Issuu Export Preset to ensure that during the export process, your PDF is Issuu-ready.
Problems with Links
To ensure your links are working, try the following:
- Add long links before upload
- Links need be prefixed with either
- Make sure links in the text are not separated by line breaks or placed directly next to non-link characters (add a blank space on each side of the link/email-address)
- If your links are displayed in the wrong place, export your document for viewing on the screen (not for print)
- If you are turning full pages into links e.g. for full-page ads, make sure the link area is smaller than the actual page. The best approach is to leave space for a margin around your link area
Problems with Fonts
Make sure your fonts are embedded in the document you upload by exporting with fonts.
NOTE: Your document may look correct in a desktop PDF reader because the reader will automatically use the correct fonts available on the local computer. However, Issuu may need to substitute the missing fonts with different ones if you do not export the correct fonts. We won’t be able to do font rendering or text extraction, so be careful about this.
Problems with Text
If your page doesn’t have crisp text, please ensure that:
- You do not have any images/graphics overlapping in the text. This includes semi- or full-transparent images/graphics. For example, putting text under the transparent part of an image of a circle, might cause trouble with how the text looks. To fix this, please rearrange the layers in your document so the text is "on top" (even when the text is not visibly overlapped by anything).
- You do not export your text as outlines
- If you're uploading a PDF document, text is selectable when you open the document in Adobe Reader. If the text is not selectable here, it is an indication that it will not be rendered crisp on Issuu
- The text is inserted as text, and not as an image (for example as an advertisement). If it is inserted as an image, the text will not always be as crisp when zoomed in as in the original document
- You only include visible layers in the output PDF (see https://help.issuu.com/hc/en-us/articles/204815468-Exporting-from-InDesign-to-issuu-Ready-PDFs)
If you’re still experiencing issues, turn secondary content (like advertisement) into images. If the problem we encountered while processing a page was in this secondary content, turning it into an image will allow the rest of the content to be rendered with crisp text.
Problem with Layout
Having problems with text, images or another part of your layout? Check out these tips:
- Try a different PDF version (e.g. v 1.3) or a different PDF printer
- Replace your vector graphics with bitmaps
- If your text is “bleeding through," you are using an unsupported layout feature (e.g. 'soft masks'). Please use a different layout feature or replace that page/item with bitmap graphics
- If “images are not showing," they are probably inserted in the content using unsupported features (e.g. frames/forms), so try to simplify or 'flatten' your layout
As a final attempt, try re-saving your PDF in Preview for Mac (or similar software on a PC), as it can sometimes remove unknown errors. If you want to upload a Word document or Powerpoint presentation, try exporting to PDF before uploading.
If you’re still having issues, click “Submit a Request” on the top right of the Help Center navigation bar.